Friday, January 26, 2007

saxon math informal discussion

A special ed teacher at my school thinks highly of Saxon Math, Saxon is a great source for basic skills. I believe it is lacking in problem solving. Our special ed teacher is hoping I will try and use it next yer.

Saxon Math was wonderful but to fit it in our curriculum, I had to supplement some skills, but the children retained the skills better. I loved the sheets to do in class and then they do the back side at home traveling teacher. However, some of them think any Saxon test is brutal for a 7 year old. Also, in second grade we have different assessments, they had 73 questions on the last test. Some of the people comment it was a brutal test for second graders.

I have collected many problems over the years. I am on a listserv for math teachers. I will probably be begging for help. We will start out slow in K-2. Grade 3 will hit it hard in October. traveling teacher - A great source for problem solving is Gourmet Curriculum.

Well, I like Saxon Math. It has its faults. I think it is weak in Geomerty and we will need to beef it up, but I like the way it spirals all skilss - keeps reviewing them. WE shall see. After this new year we may hate it. We thought it was worth a try. Our old series was not doing the job.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?